Thursday, December 27, 2012

A good wrong turn.

The following is a post from a friend of a friend in Plurk.  The story is very cool and just goes to show that sometimes when things seem to be going wrong, they can end up going very right.

Well, Before the flood I used to go spend weekends at bf's house. I live in the city and he lives in this little village type town just outside the outer parts of the city. It was middle of winter and there had been heavy snow fall. Probably 2 -3 feet in places and more was coming in. So I decided to head home before the next snow storm hit. 

The temperatures were below zero and it ended up being the coldest night of the year. Because there was so much snow on the ground my bf normally kept to the main roads as they were the ones cleared first and usually pretty clear. For whatever reason he took the back roads into town. We are driving through this little neighborhood and he makes a wrong turn and goes through a way we don't normally go through the neighborhood. But this was no big deal because all the roads loop together...

Well, we pass this spot and I'm telling him about stuff that had happened in SL (SecondLife) when he says, "Sorry guy, I'm not stopping." I ask him what he means and he explains some guy was waving at him...trying to flag him down. Me being the logical one realize immediately that its way too freaking cold for car jackers or robbers to be out...its 2 am...and we're in an area that is considered the bad part of town to be in at night..so I tell him to go back. He fusses about it but does cause I'm having a fit about it. 

We turn around and as we pass this house a young man comes half running half sliding down a driveway, wearing blue jeans and sweatshirt. No coat, no hat, no gloves, and he's wearing low top shoes. He's waving his arms like crazy so we stop and he rushes over and says, "Thank god you stopped! No one is around, no one will answer their door. My car got stuck in the snow. I'm lost. I have no idea where I am. I was trying to pick my girlfriend up from a party and got lost. I was on the phone with her trying to find my way out when my phone went dead." Immediately my boyfriend's compassion kicks in when he realizes this guy is 16 or 18 and scared to death. 

We tell him to get in the car...to which he smartly hesitates but gets in. He'd left his coat at home and he'd been drinking. We drove him to a gas station so he could use the phone to get a ride. 

We made sure they would let him stay inside while he waited before we left. But after that we realized if we had not gone that way he probably would have frozen to death. And there was no way he could have walked out of the area because that area is a maze..there is three ways in or out and if you don't know them you won't find them. 

Life takes some strange turns.  Some of them lead to really good endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment